The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (R.C.I.A.) is not so much a program as a process. Through the RCIA, men and women discern God's call to enter the Catholic Church and are helped along in this process by many Catholics of their parish. Can you help the men and women in St. Ann's RCIA?
There are in fact many simple ways to volunteer with St. Ann's RCIA ministry:
- Be an RCIA Sponsor: Everyone going through the RCIA process needs a sponsor. The role of the sponsor, however, is not to answer all the questions about the Catholic Church (we have our catechetical sessions for this). Rather, the sponsor acts as a mentor in faith and will stand next those in RCIA during the rites that take place throughout the RCIA process. The time requirement of the sponsor is minimal. As a sponsor, you will participate in the three rites, attend our RCIA sessions in Lent (typically four sessions), and join in for our RCIA retreat.
- Join our Sunday Scripture Team: Joe and Mary Leeper coordinate a short scripture study for those in RCIA during the 9 AM Mass. We use lectio divina - a method scripture meditation which Joe and Mary can train you to use. The commitment to this team would be minimal as it meets for about 11-13 Sundays a year and team members can lead this on a rotational basis.
- Be a Part Time RCIA Team Member: The RCIA process is segmented into a few periods. During the Pre-Catechumenate (the first 10 weeks of RCIA), we review the Creed and learn the core tenants of the Faith. In the Catechumenate (the next 7 weeks or RCIA), we delve more deeply into the seven Sacraments of the Church and have an RCIA retreat. Then in the final two phases - Purification & Enlightenment and Mystagogia - we study the Church's moral teachings, prepare for full initiation into the Catholic Church, and look forward to living life as a practicing Catholic (these are the final eight weeks of RCIA and would include events associated with Holy Week). As a part time RCIA Team member, you would join us for any one of these three periods of the RCIA process.
- Be a Full Time Team Member: If you would rather join us for the entire year and participate in the planning of the RCIA as a whole, we would always love to have you as a full time RCIA Team member for the year. This is a larger time commitment, but certainly one that is both worthwhile and deeply rewarding.
- Join the RCIA Prayer Team: A new component of the RCIA we would like to develop is the RCIA Prayer Team. As a member of the RCIA Prayer Team, you would take time to keep those in the RCIA in your personal prayers while also participating in some specific prayer here at St. Ann's. To keep the commitment minimal, we would look for some fixed times (e.g. during RCIA sessions or during the RCIA retreat) that those in the team may gather individually or as a whole to pray in the Adoration Chapel for those discerning Easter sacraments.
If you are able to volunteer for any of these above ministries, please fill out the short registration form below. Thank you and God bless!